Your roof carries the responsibility of protecting everything (and everyone) inside your home. As a homeowner, protecting the integrity of your roof should be your top priority. Most San Antonio, TX homeowners postpone roof replacement because of the cost and disruption involved. However, procrastinating and ignoring small problems only creates bigger problems later. Prime Seamless makes your roof repair or installation in San Antonio, TX quick and easy so you can enjoy the peace of mind that you’re protected.
Signs Your Roof Needs a Repair
Many roof repairs are similar in nature (missing shingles, leaking pipe flashings, chimney flashing, ice dams), and they are often due to the same types of problems (age, rain, hail, wind, ice). But when is a roof repair a simple repair and when is it time for a full replacement? We can help you determine what is the best choice for your home, family, and finances.
- Leaky Roof – Some leaks can happen instantly while others may manifest themselves over time. If you have rain in your bedroom, you know you have a problem and it’s best to fix it fast before it’s too late. As soon as you notice a leak, big or small, give us a call to quickly get your roof repaired.
- Dark Stains on the Roof – If the surface of your roof appears to have dark stains, it is likely a sign that your shingles are aging and need to be repaired or replaced. Dark patches may also signal moss or algae, which can contribute significantly to shingle damage.
- Holes/Punctures/Splitting – Holes and punctures expose your house’s inner structure, causing moisture buildup, leaks, and rot. These can be caused by strong hail, small critters, or poor installation.
- Roof Shrinkage – Underneath your roofing materials, there is a membrane that acts as a coat for your house. If this coat shrinks, it doesn’t work as well and exposes your roof to the elements, and needs to be repaired before it causes further damage.
- Granules in the Gutter – Granules are an easy way to spot issues early. If the shingles are old or damaged, they’ll start to shed, which is the first time that it’s time to call a professional roofing contractor for a roof repair or replacement.
- High Energy Bills – Your roof is your biggest source of insulation. If it is compromised, air and heat will leak out of your house and your HVAC system will kick into overdrive. If you notice a huge spike in energy use, it’s worth having your roof checked out.
- Damaged Shingles – Keep an eye out for damaged or missing shingles. This can often happen as a result of wind, rain, or hail. If you notice damage to your shingles, get them repaired before they compromise the integrity of the entire roof.
Signs Your Roof Needs To Be Completely Replaced
- Aging – Asphalt shingles are the most common residential roofing materials. They have a lifespan of 15-30 years. If they are older than 20 years, it’s probably time for a full roof replacement.
- Sagging – A sagging roof is a housing emergency. This is usually an indication of a structural problem, and the home may not be safe to be in anymore. It’s best to call a professional and get to the underlying issue sooner than later.
- Damaged Shingles – Any type of curling, cracking, buckling, or tearing of your shingles is a good indicator it might be time to replace your roof. These types of problems left untreated can cause serious structural issues that a simple repair cannot easily fix.
- Algae and/or Moss – This occurs in older homes with the presence of lichen. If this isn’t taken care of, it can provide the perfect home for algae, mold, or moss. Some roof materials can be power washed or repaired, while others would require a complete replacement.
Benefits of Repairing or Replacing Your Roof
Roofing problems cannot be left untreated for long before they begin to affect other areas of your home. A broken shingle can lead to leaks, mold in your walls, and structural issues in the home. Your roof acts as a shield for the entire structure. Taking care of roof repairs and making timely replacements is critical.
- Prevents Further Damage – Whether a windstorm kicked up a few shingles, or you’ve noticed a small crack, it’s essential to act quickly to avoid further damage. Any type of moisture will begin to cause your roof to deteriorate, so it’s important to do what you can to repair the small issues early.
- Boosts Property Value & Keeps the Warranty in Effect – Any home sale requires an inspection, which includes a thorough assessment of the roof. If the inspector finds damage, you’ll either have to lower your price or get a roof repair on your own before the sale goes through.
- Improves Curb Appeal and Maintain the Look of Your Home – A roof in disrepair affects the look of the entire home. Water spots, buckling, or cracks are visible to even the passerby, and it is a bad sign that the home is in disrepair.
- Improves and Extends the Lifespan of Your Roof – If you act quickly and take care of small repairs early on – you can extend the entire lifespan of your roof. While a typical roof may last 15-20 years, you can extend that up to 10 years more with regular maintenance and repairs.
- Identify Weak Points and Protect Other Features of Your Home –With regular maintenance, our experts may use a variety of ways to detect if parts of your roof are in bad shape and in need of a repair even before it’s visible. Sometimes, you won’t have to take action immediately, but knowing you have something to watch means that you can prepare for it in the future.
- Avert Costly Maintenance and Repairs – Most homeowners don’t pay any attention to their roofs until they have an emergency. Regular upkeep and maintenance saves on expensive roof repairs. A professional contractor can provide you with the necessary guidelines for future residential roof maintenance.
- Maintain Inside Temperature and Boost Energy Efficiency – With regular maintenance, roofs can provide adequate insulation and protection for your home. This keeps the inside temperature comfortable and dry and keeps your energy bills low.
Types of Residential Roofing We Work On
Prime Seamless is the premiere choice for both residential and commercial roofing in San Antonio, TX. We work with many types of residential roofing materials, but these three are the most popular:
- Asphalt Shingles – More than 70 percent of all single-family homes in the US have asphalt shingles. They are affordable, easy to install and maintain, and can be repaired without replacing the entire roof.
- 3-Tab Shingles – These are very popular shingles. They are affordable and generally have a lifespan of up to 20 years. The dimensions vary, but all are made from durable fiberglass coated with granules that vary in color. The exposed area is notched (usually into three tabs) to give a more aesthetically pleasing experience.
- Dimensional Shingles – Dimensional shingles are extremely durable and last 10-15 years longer than 3-tab shingles. They have the appearance of two standard shingles bonded together. This gives your roof a beautiful three-dimensional appearance.
- Luxury Shingles – If you want the budget-friendly aspect of shingles, but the look of slate, shake or cedar, you may be interested in luxury shingles. These are a great alternative that provides the benefits of asphalt shingles, and the appearance to match your favorite style.
- TPO Roofing – TPO is an acronym for Thermoplastic Polyolefin. This type of rubber-roofing material is specifically suited for low-slope commercial styles. It has soared in popularity in the last 20 years because it is resilient in both extreme heat, and extreme cold while also being highly resistant to tears, impacts, and punctures. In addition, it is easier to install than older methods and tends to last longer than competitors. Installing a TPO roof can only be done by a professional due to the equipment and expertise needed to properly install it.
- Modified Bitumen Roofs – These are commonly referred to as “tar-and-gravel roofs”. MBR uses a combination of bitumen and reinforced fabric to create layers of membrane referred to as plies. You can apply as many layers, or plies, as you need. It is installed in self-adhering sheets with unmatched strength. It’s one of the oldest systems still in use today because it’s both cost-effective and durable.
Still unsure which material is best for you? No problem. With Prime Seamless, you can try before you buy. We can take an overhead shot of your roof and superimpose the new one on top of it to give you an idea of what your new roof might look like. Customers can also come to the showroom to see color and feel texture samples to make the best choice on your materials.
FAQs About Residential Roofs