Needed to install gutters for awhile and honestly was dragging my feet on the whole process but after receiving several quotes I went with Prime Gutters and couldn’t be happier. Pricing was incredibly reasonable especially for the quality not only in materials but customer service! They were respectful and made sure to keep me completely updated on the process. Actually looking forward to it raining now. Thanks guys!
– Ash B.
Gutters are an important two-part system that protects your home and roof.
First, they cap off the roof installation and seal the edges.
Second, they direct water away from the home to keep your exterior and foundation sheltered.
The gutter system is often overlooked and unnoticed until something goes wrong. They are responsible for making sure whatever is going on outside stays outside.
Common Signs You Need to Either Repair or Replace Your Gutters
Compromised gutters put your roof and home at risk of serious damage.
It’s important to watch for these common signs that it might be time to give your gutters a little TLC.
- Aging – Your gutters should last at least as long as the roof does (sometimes even longer). If you’ve had damage to your roof, or if your roof is getting older – your gutters are likely old and/or damaged as well. Rust, corroding, sagging, or failing are all signs of aging gutters.
- Poor Installation – Gutters should be securely fastened to the fascia boards or rafter tails along the perimeter of your roof. When they are not installed properly, they don’t work correctly and they must be repaired immediately. If you have a newer home with gutter problems, it’s likely due to installation issues.
- Blockage – Gutter blockages are common, especially if you don’t install gutter guards with your system. This problem requires a gutter cleaning and possible repair before they create clogs that can get worse over time.
- Pipe Blockage – Pipes or downspouts connect the gutters to the ground and allow water to flow properly away from your property. If these get clogged, it can cause a backflow of water back up to the roof.
- Cracks, Holes, or Rust Spots – Rust on your gutters is typically a problem in older homes as most gutters today are manufactured with aluminum. Cracks and holes can be the result of hail, age, or pests. If you notice any imperfections in your gutters, this can be repaired by simply replacing one section of the gutter system rather than the whole thing.
- Broken Fasteners – The fasteners, or hangers, are what connect the gutter to your home. When these break, the entire gutter system fails and you run the risk of damage to your walls, foundations, and landscaping.
- Pulling Away from the Roof – Old systems were installed using a technique called “spike and ferrule.” Over time, the spikes pull away from the roof and are unreliable. If you’ve hammered in the spikes time and time again and the gutter is still dragging, it is time to upgrade your system.
- Sagging – Any areas where your gutters are sagging create problems when they fill with water. Standing water can create clogs and ice dams, leading to greater damage to your roof.
Benefits of Investing in a New Gutter System
There are many benefits to new gutter installation.
Aside from giving your home a fresh new look, installing new gutters is a proactive way to care for the roof, foundation, and exterior of your home.
- Keeps Your Home from Decay – The exterior walls of your home are likely lined with tar paper and plywood. These are not waterproof. This is why your gutters are designed to protect the exterior walls with proper water drainage. Without it, water can seep inside literally tearing your home apart.
- Keeps Insects Away – Mosquitos and insects are attracted to water. Gutters reduce the risk of standing water and help your home stay pest-free.
- Prevent Mold – If the exterior of your home holds on to too much moisture, it can cause mold inside the walls. A strong gutter system can prevent mold from setting in even during the rainiest seasons.
- Keeps Your Home Foundations Strong – Your gutters divert water away from the foundation of your home, protecting structural stability. Water may seem innocent at first, but over time moisture in the foundation will soften the soil and cause your home to shift and crack.
- Protects Your Siding – Any type of natural home sidings like wood, stucco, stone, or brick is susceptible to mold, mildew, or moss. Strong gutters create a waterproof home to protect you and your home.
- Create a Neater Look – Gutters simply add a beautiful finishing touch to your home. They are a small element that makes a huge difference in curb appeal. Properly maintained gutters also show off a home that is well cared for.
- Protects Your Landscaping – Gutters prevent heavy watersheds from destroying your beautiful landscaping, washing away ground cover, or creating divots and ruts alongside your lawn.
Types of Gutters We Repair, Replace, and Install
We work with only the most reliable and popular brands of gutters in your area.
Our gutters come in two main styles and dozens of colors to create a beautiful, seamless look for your home.
If you’re not sure which type of gutter is best for you, our team can help you decide.
- Half Round Gutters – These are U-shaped gutters that essentially look like a tube that has been cut in half. The symmetrical shape complements a more modern home style and the curved inside is more effective at washing out debris than flat-bottom gutters.
- K-Style Gutters – The shape of this type of gutter is designed to resemble crown molding around the exterior of your home. This is a beautiful finish and works well in areas with harsh weather as they are less likely to bend when damaged, making them one of the stronger options. These come in different sizes:
- 5-Inch – A 5-inch gutter is typically sufficient for most homes. This is our standard gutter system that works great for many homeowners in the San Antonio area.
- 6-Inch – This is our gutter of choice as it outperforms the smaller systems on the market. This is a good choice for homes in the San Antonio area because we live in an area that gets significantly more rainwater and a 6-inch gutter can actually hold 40% more water than a 5-inch system.
- 7-Inch – Many homes with Spanish tile roofing will opt for the larger 7-inch gutters. Because of the tile roofing overhang, the larger gutters extend past the roofing and do a better job of collecting water.
Commonly Used Materials Used by Prime Seamless
There are three main materials that we use for gutters at Prime Seamless: copper, aluminum, and galvalume.
- Copper – If you want a gutter system you’ll never have to replace – go with copper. When installed properly, a copper gutter system will typically last a lifetime! It will likely outlast you, and of course, it’s beautiful and elegant.
- 27 Gauge Painted Aluminum – This is the industry standard for gutters. They are easy to install and budget-friendly. They work well on most homes, but a thicker 32 gauge, can be specially ordered and is typically used in regions with snow or ice.
- Galvalume Steel – Galvalume is typically used in roofing materials but is also a popular choice for gutters. Their curb appeal combined with their longevity makes them a much more appealing gutter system.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Choose Prime Seamless?
Prime Seamless is the premier choice for roofing and gutters because we follow a comprehensive plan for each client.
Before we start working on your gutter system, we provide a thorough inspection of your entire roofing system. This includes detailed schematics of the gutter system and the drainage map.
We ensure that each project exceeds the minimum building code requirements in your area to provide an exceptional finished product. We pride ourselves on our core values of dependability, accountability, and integrity with each step of every project.
To best serve our customers, we have two locations we operate out of:
Have Poor Drainage?
Gutters are an essential piece to protecting your home.
If you have questions about your gutter repair or replacement, give us a call.
As the leading choice for gutter repair and installation, Prime Seamless provides decades of experience, excellent workmanship, and great products.
We can install beautiful and durable seamless gutters custom-made to fit your home and have your project completed in one day.
Give us a call to get started.