Metal roofing is growing in popularity as a choice for homeowners all across the country. What was once reserved for barns and cabins is now mainstream in neighborhoods everywhere. It is the single most durable, longest-lasting, and most efficient material on the market. It’s clear why metal roofing has more than quadrupled its market share since 2010. More homeowners than ever before are choosing this material in Austin, TX.
The Metal Roofing Alliance estimated that 750,000 metal roofs were installed in 2015 alone and it’s only increased since then. Modern-day metal roofs can be installed on any structure. Metal provides all of the style and beauty of traditional materials, only stronger and more durable. The most common metals used by roofing contractors are aluminum, lightweight steel, and zinc.
Why Are Metal Roofs So Beneficial?
Homeowners across the country and right here in Austin, TX are making the decision to invest in metal roofing. While this is one of the most expensive options in the market, there are several reasons why the investment is worth it. They are durable, reliable, beautiful, and they will likely outlast your own lifespan.
- It is Eco-Friendly – Metal roofing materials are manufactured with 25-95% recycled content, depending on the material. In addition, they are 100% recyclable at the end of their life making them one of the most eco-friendly materials in the market.
- It Lasts a Minimum of 50 Years – This makes metal a no-brainer for a home you plan on staying in forever. Some have been known to last even longer, close to 100 years before needing to be replaced. There is simply no material in the market that will last longer.
- Delivers High-Quality Material and Choices of Appearance – Today’s metal roofing gives you limitless options for both style and color. Because metal can be easily painted, you can have a roof that matches any color of the rainbow.
- It is Cost-Effective – While they are an investment, it will save you money instantly by cutting your utility bills significantly. It also saves costs on homeowners insurance (your rates can drop because metal roofing is impermeable), resale value (because of the longevity of metal), and the elimination of maintenance and future installations.
- They Are Both Impact- and Fire-Resistant – This material is basically indestructible. They are naturally fire-resistant and won’t be cracked or broken due to ice, wind, rain, or hail. They earn the highest marks at a 140MPH wind rating, sometimes up to 180MPH gusts without budging.
- Receive the Best Energy Efficiency – Metal reflects and re-emits nearly 100% of solar radiation rather than absorbing it like asphalt shingles will. Some homeowners will find savings of up to 40% on their energy bills simply by making the switch to metal.
- It Will Boost Your Home Value – The value of this option will pay off if you plan to sell your home in the future. Homeowners who install metal roofing are usually able to recoup 85% or more of the costs upon resale.
- Your Roof Can Save Money on Homeowners Insurance – Some homeowners near Austin, TX may reap insurance rewards for installing a metal roof. In fact, some customers receive a discount of up to 30% depending on the insurance company and coverage options.
- A Metal Roof Can Be Installed Over Your Existing One – Installing a metal roof is easier than other materials because it can be installed directly on top of your existing one. There is no need to tear off old materials which takes more time and labor.
- Enjoy Low Maintenance – It requires zero maintenance. While you should keep an eye on it just to be safe – there is no future maintenance required.
- Expect the Most Extensive Warranties – Because of their notorious lifespan and durability, your roof will come with the best guarantee in the business, unmatched by any other material.
Prime Installs Standing Seam Metal Roofs
A standing seam metal roof is a series of vertical, interlocking metal panels. All of the panels snap together and are installed with clips to the substructure. Standing seam panels do not typically use exposed fasteners in the plane of the panel during panel installation, but they can be used on the trim.
Our standing seam systems are manufactured from high-end steel or aluminum making them both lightweight and durable.
How Do We Install Standing Seam?
The installation process is fairly simple but should only be done by a professional team with adequate training and experience.
- Remove the Old One – The best way to start the project is by removing your old roofing. While technically a metal roof can be installed on top of other materials, we still remove the old one to ensure a clean installation.
- Inspect the Decking – We want to make sure your decking is ready to handle metal roofing and that any insecurities or imperfections are corrected.
- Underlayment – This is usually a felt or other synthetic material that is used over the decking to provide protection from heat, ice, and water.
- Metal Panels – Once the roof is planned out and the surface is prepared, the panels are installed on the lock strips one at a time, interlocking each one. The seams are usually 12 to 24 inches apart, and the bottom of the panel is cut off.
- Inspection – After the installation is completed, each element is carefully inspected to ensure a perfect fit every time.
Materials We Use For Metal Roofs
There are three main materials to choose from. These three provide the durability, longevity, and appearance that Austin, TX homeowners are looking for.
- 24 Gauge Painted Steel – The most common gauges for metal roofing are 29, 26, 24, and 22 gauge. Low-end agricultural jobs will use a 26 or 29 gauge, while homeowners will use a 24-gauge. Standing seam metal roofing is typically only available in 24 gauge as it is the most durable steel.
- Galvalume Steel – Galvalume is a combination of steel, aluminum, and zinc. This allows you to use one material that has some of the best characteristics of each metal, which is why it’s become one of the most popular materials in today’s market.
- Copper – Many homeowners love copper sheets because of their unique appearance and curb appeal. Copper is also one of the strongest materials in the market and is highly resistant to damage like scratches, nicks, and blemishes. Copper has been known to last for hundreds of years.
What Determines a Roof’s Installation Cost?
There are several factors that can determine the cost of your new metal roof. With each customer, we provide a full estimate, including a computer-generated image of your new roof with customized color and style options.
- Size, Pitch, and Slope – Your size, pitch, and slope all contribute to the overall cost per square foot. These factors can affect both the cost of labor and the number of materials required.
- Labor Cost for New Installation – Installing this roof requires specialized professionals, which can be anywhere from $3 to $12 per square foot, depending on your state. Generally, labor is the largest portion of your cost at 3 to 5 times the rate of the materials alone.
- Material Costs – The type of metal used is the main cost factor after labor. The price ranges quite drastically from $1.60 for Galvalume to $22.50 for copper. Generally, the heavier the metal, the more expensive the job. The underlayment will also add to the cost of materials.
- Painting Cost – Your metal roof can be painted to complement the exterior of your home. If you choose to add paint, this may add $1,500 to $2,000 to the overall cost.
- Removing Existing Roof – If you have your old materials removed, this will add about 10 percent to the overall cost of your roof replacement.
- Accessibility – Remote or mountainous areas that are difficult to access may cost more due to the obstacles or areas that require more time and equipment.
FAQs About Metal Roofs