Gutters are designed to protect your home and foundation from water. As they catch rainfall, they also catch leaves, sticks, twigs, bugs, debris, trash, and even small animals. When this happens, and your gutters become clogged, your drainage system is compromised.
Gutter guards are designed to keep your gutters working properly and prevent anything larger than a grain of sand from getting caught and clogging your gutters.
Why Is It Important To Install A Gutter Cover?
Gutter guards, also called gutter covers, naturally prevent many of the hassles that homeowners experience with gutters. These are just a few of the top reasons why our customers love their gutter guards.
- Keep Debris out of Your Gutters – This is the number one reason we recommend gutter guards. They eliminate debris from building up and causing problems in and around your home.
- Eliminate Maintenance by 70% – Typically, homeowners must get on the roof themselves or hire a gutter-cleaning service several times a year. With a gutter guard, this maintenance is virtually eliminated.
- Prevent Rust – Traditional gutters are prone to water clogs and then rusting when that water sits over time. This rust will eventually corrode and cause major problems for your drainage and your roof. The guard prevents this rust by eliminating the clogs.
- Save Money – Guards pay for themselves over time by saving you the time, energy, and cost associated with traditional gutter cleaning services and water damage repairs.
- Protect Your Home – Unkept gutters lead to ice dams, clogs, and serious damage to your roof, walls, siding, foundation, and landscaping.
- Extend Gutter and Roof Lifespan – The guards will extend the lifespan of your gutters and also your roof. Standard gutters tend to form pools of standing water leading to rust, mold, and corrosion. They provide superior protection to prolong the life of your entire roofing system.
- Prevent Water Damage – Gutter guards prevent water from dripping down the side of your home and causing extensive damage, which often leads to mold and mildew growth.
- Helps Alleviate Ice Dams and Gutter Freezing – When water is trapped in the gutters, it can result in freezing ice dams. These can cause major issues for your drainage system.
- Fire Protection – During a fire, embers can fall on rooftops and come in contact with dry leaves or twigs in your gutters. By eliminating this debris, you increase your fire protection.
- Stop Blockages – Overflowing gutters are often caused by clogged or blocked guards and are dangerous to your roof and your foundation. Gutter guards prevent this by allowing the water to flow freely.
Signs You Need A Gutter Protection System
A gutter protection system is usually just an afterthought, but it’s actually one of the best retrofits you can buy for your home. They are designed to keep leaves, dirt, and other debris out of your gutters so that your gutters can do their job properly.
Regardless of the signs mentioned below, we recommend you install a protection system for the better functioning of your gutter.
- Periodic Clogged Gutter – Gutters need to be clean and free-flowing in order to work properly. If you have frequent clogs in your gutters that require cleaning, you would benefit from a gutter guard.
- Rusting Gutters – This is often due to constant flooding. Rusting and corrosion lead to compromised gutter systems.
- Constant Gutter Overflow – Some areas of the country experience torrential downpours that overwhelm a standard gutter system. If you have constant overflows, it is likely causing water damage to your home and could be remedied with gutter protection.
- Visible Water Stains & Spots – If your home has been discolored by stains or water spots, this is a sign that your gutter system is not doing its job and it’s time for increased protection.
- Frequent Cleaning – Constantly cleaning your gutters is a drain on your time and money. Gutter guards eliminate the need for ongoing cleaning and maintenance.
The Gutter Cover We Recommend
E-Z Step Down is the primary gutter guard we use for our customers in Austin, TX. We do offer other types at different price points, but the E-Z Step Down System is the popular choice. This simple system snaps into place with spring tension. It can snap in and out when necessary and eliminate 99% of the debris in your gutters.
- Medium to heavy debris loads with small-sized holes
- Stepped-down front for strength, angle in the back with spring-tension action for installation without disturbing the shingles
- Powder-coated steel
- .028 expanded galvanized steel
- For use with hidden hangers
E-Z Step Down comes in 4-foot lengths at 5” or 6” widths. While the product is simple, there are a variety of installation techniques that vary from situation to situation, depending on your roof shape and size. It is important to use a trained installer like Prime Seamless to use the best method based on your application.
Gutter Cover FAQs